***The ILL procedures noted below are currently under revision.***
Please call your local LMLS library directly to initiate an Inter-Library Loan request.
If the Lower Merion Library System does not own a particular item, it may be possible to borrow it from another library. This service is referred to as Interlibrary loan (ILL). The Lower Merion Library System participates in a countywide ILL system supported and maintained by the Montgomery County/Norristown Public Library (MCNPL) in accordance with the Pennsylvania Interlibrary Loan Code. The Lower Merion Library System also obtains library materials directly from libraries in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
ILL is available to all library users, regardless of whether the Lower Merion Library System is their home library. ILL is a privilege, not a right. Any patron who disregards the basic provisions of our policy may have his/her ILL borrowing privileges suspended at the discretion of the head librarian. Patrons should also be aware that ILL requests may take a substantial amount of time to fill.
A variety of library materials may be requested through ILL; however, the following restrictions apply:
- no titles owned in the Lower Merion system except those missing or long overdue
- no textbooks or course materials
- no bestsellers
- no core reference works
- no rare books or archival materials
- no licensed computer software
- no sheet music
- no genealogical records
- no phonograph records
- videos/DVDs from MCNPL and District Library Centers only
- audiobooks from within the District only
- ILL materials must be returned to the Lower Merion Library that obtained the material.
- Patrons must have current library cards/borrowing privileges.
- Patrons are required to pay any charges assessed by the lending library.
- The lending policy of the Lower Merion Library System regarding overdue, damaged or lost materials also applies to ILL materials.
- ILL materials obtained within the county may be renewed only at the discretion of the lending library; ILL materials obtained outside the county normally may not be renewed.
- Patrons are expected to pickup the ILL materials they requested within three days notification of their availability.
The Lower Merion Library System will not accept any ILL requests that do not comply with the copyright law (Title 17. U.S. Code) and its accompanying guidelines.